The role of the branch young members’ officer is ideal for someone who is interested in becoming more active in the union.
The post may be a stepping stone to becoming a steward or taking on wider roles.
The responsibilities include:
- recruiting new members and organising and encouraging existing young members to become active in the branch and in UNISON campaigns;
- building a branch young members’ organisation and making sure there are potential new young members’ officers in the future;
- making sure issues of concern to young workers are raised through the branch;
- acting as a focal point for all young workers in the branch and workplaces;
- receiving and distributing UNISON young members’ information.
Other branch officers will help in these tasks. Branch young members’ officer must be under 27 years of age for the whole of their term of office.